This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ICantEven #BigLots #CollectiveBias
Moving into our new house has been amazing and stressful! Organizing the living room from playroom to functional living space was a battle between toddler and parent. We needed the room to work for our family and for potential buyers, all-in-one. We staged our house with items we had, and while I love our old girl, buying our forever home has been a growing up process in more ways than one. I wanted the hard work of the past 6 years, and our 2 year house hunt to show. Truthfully, staging your home for selling is almost like setting up that house you thought you’d once have. So, I took inspiration from what I’d always imagined my home to be and the trusty internet, and began to create!
Starting with a blank slate is a blessing when it comes to transforming a room. With sun-drenched hardwoods in our front-to-back living room, the sky is the limit with decorating. Taking the time to define our style and choose a comforting color scheme was at the top of my list.
I headed to Big Lots to get a few ideas, and was pleasantly surprised by the home décor available. From color to pattern, there is so much to choose from. My inner-Pinterest-obsessed self was delighted!
My shopping list to take the living room from one couch and chair to an oasis was pretty complete: Pillows, a picture frame for a photo from a recent family shoot, a lamp, curtains and some items for our mantle, which I’m extremely excited about! This is our first fireplace, a gas installment that’s just a few years old, and the mantle is one of those items from my dream home wish list. I was thrilled by the selection available to me. It gave me so many options to make all the spaces in our home uniquely ours, and giving us a living room perfect for Dave and I to relax in after the kids are in bed. Thank goodness they have their own playroom now! We decided we wanted some splashes of color and fun in modern gray tones highlighted by my favorite red nursing chair.
I picked up beautiful curtains and pillows that compliment each other and our color palette. The fabric is beautiful and feels so lush. I was SO grateful for the help a Big Lots associate gave me in finding a few different choices to compare and find just the right look. They made it simple to turn my house into a home.
So how can you transform your space? While it takes a lot of focus to see what you envision come to life, it’s totally possible! Just follow my tutorial below, and watch your house become a home:
1. Pick ONE room to work on at a time… I find that doing so keeps me focused and means the room I envision is more likely to come to fruition.
2. Make a board on Pinterest that gives you an idea of what you’re looking for.
3. Make a list of the items you’re envisioning. What are your must-haves for your space? Put those down on paper so you don’t get too sidetracked by all the baubles- of which there are many beautiful ones at Big Lots.
4. As excited as you are, bring everything home and lay it out in the light so you can see how it all works together. I love being able to see everything I got, and knowing that if my purchases aren’t perfect, I can head back into Big Lots and change it up!
5. Assemble your room and enjoy! Don’t forget to iron out your curtains so they hang without creases- those little touches will bring a true showroom look to your home without the need to spend showroom prices.
We love spending time in our new living room! It’s comfortable and beautiful, giving us the room to stretch our legs and enjoy the one room we’ve gotten set up in our home! How did you make your house a home?