This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc., Kimberly Clark, and Disney. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyMovieWithKleenex #CollectiveBias
We are IN LOVE with crafting in the house, and my favorite aspect of our projects is that they’re typically items we upcycle!
When it comes to life lessons, we aim to teach in our everyday actions, and being eco-friendly is just one way! We compost daily, use cloth napkins and dishtowels over paper, and always save “cool” packaging we could make into something later- or reuse to package gifts or leftovers.
This proved to be perfect for the girls, as the perfect storm came together after a recent shopping trip to BJs!
As a disability advocate, the movie Finding Dory struck a specific nerve in me, and I knew it was something I wanted the girls to see and, even more, feel. Dory’s disability is one often referred to as “invisible”, as people cannot see it- however, it is very real. In the predecessor to Finding Dory, clown fish, Marlin, meets up with Dory when looking for his son, Nemo. Throughout the film, she battles the effects of her disability using different methods to help her retain information.
This perseverance is a part of her everyday life, and I love that she never lets it become her- it’s just who she is! Marlin, also represents someone common in the lives of others with disability; a person who is annoyed by the side effects of her memory loss, and often becomes short with her.
Does this bother Dory? Nope. She just keeps swimming… and in the movie Finding Dory, her drive to never stop growing leads her on a new path to finding out who she is.
Along the way, Dory, Nemo and Marlin encounter obstacles, take on new challenges, and truly work together to help Dory find her parents. It’s heartfelt, but more than that, it’s a lovely way to present many lessons in life and give disability, both physical and “invisible”, a stage to be seen.
It totally warmed my heart to see how excited the kids were to see Kleenex® Finding Dory Tissue Box Designs at BJ’s as we shopped for supplies for Dave’s birthday party! “DORY!” Millie pointed, as Addie sneezed… and I knew they were coming home with us! I have always trusted Kleenex Everyday Tissues for the fam! Between the perfect balance of softness and strength, the durable with 2-ply thickness and ability to absorb our worst, they’re perfect for everything. From makeup mistakes to messy hands… and of course, those stuffy noses- box in every room is a must!
The weekend flew by and 3 tissue boxes in- we had guests- we also had an amazing opportunity: to create the aquarium the kids have been asking for! How to give them one without the purchase of actual fish had been rolling around in my head for a while, but NOW I had all the tools!
Between craft time and nap time, I was able to work with the girls to create a super cute craft… which also turned out to be a great nightlight! Just follow how we did it below to create your own under-the-sea nightlight, too:
- Prep work:
- Cut out a square from one flat side of a Kleenex® – Finding Dory box with an exacto knife (or similar), leaving the corners, and thin frame border on each side.
- Gently open up one side of the same tissue box that already has seams. *Tip: use an seal opener or sharp paring knife to help.
- Cut out characters from another empty Kleenex® – Finding Dory and set aside.
2. Trace the 3 closed sides of the box and bottom and cut out blue construction paper- let your child decorate each paper with their Finding Dory cut outs, green glitter glue for kelp, white beads (like 3D Bubbles!), and even blue beads on the bottom- like the ocean floor!
- Stretch and glue plastic wrap to the inside of the inside of the open window of your box- this is a step best left for nap time, as it can take a while. *Tip: use a low-heal glue gun and go one side at a time!
- Put a thin line of hot glue on the seams of the open side of your box and seal it back up!
- Bend each underwater design into the top of the box and glue them into place on the inside (regular, white glue will work for this step.)
6. Drop a battery powered tea light into the top and watch the sea life light up!
NEVER USE A REAL CANDLE IN THIS PROJECT!
So while being sick is no fun- this project is sure to be the light at the end of the tunnel! And surely, the best part of those winter sniffles we all have? Right now, Fandango is offering a FREE movie rental when you buy any Kleenex packaging. Just upload your receipt! If you haven’t seen Finding Dory, now is your chance! Have a movie night, settle in with your night light (so you can see you popcorn, of course), and enjoy the story of how Dory became Dory!
Disney® Finding Dory designs are available for a limited time, so be sure you grab up Dory and her friends before it’s too late- and make your own aquarium night light to enjoy!