When I talk about where I’m from, my heart beats a little faster and I get butterflies in my belly. Philly is my home city, but I’m from just outside in Huntingdon Valley. My memories are why I want to find our forever home- so my girls have a similar fondness for their hometown.
My top reasons for loving HV:
1. Our neighbors: I call them my moms. The women who still live on our street are my other moms. They were there when I locked myself out, for the time I ran home during a game of t-ball (when I was told to run home), at graduations and funerals and weddings. I love my other moms (and dads) and I am so happy that my parents chose the neighborhood I grew up in 30 years ago.
2. Proximity: In Huntingdon Valley, I was close to school, parks, restaurants, the train and not too far outside of Philadelphia. I loved being at my parents’ home, in the pine trees, just miles away from the train station to the hustle and bustle of the city!
3. Protected Land: Where I grew up, there were (and still are) areas that are protected. Wild life, trails… all seconds from the road. I loved being able to get lost in nature. I miss that.
4. Playgrounds: Admittedly, we live in an awesome area in Rhode Island for playgrounds, but I do miss the places I went as a kid. I love taking the girls there when we visit. All the times my grandmother took me to play… I can still hear my own childhood laughter.
5. It’s home: When I talk about visiting my mom, I still call it home. The idea that home is where the heart is, is true… my girls are my home. But Philadelphia is also home. I did a lot of growing up there. I lost a lot of a part of me, and new parts of me grew in those empty places. I’ll always miss it, but I look forward to giving a similar warm feeling to my girls to hold onto- no matter where they end up settling down as adults.
So tell me about where you’re from! Join the #52WeeksA4A blog challenge and link up below!