This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GoodbyeBlisters #CollectiveBias
My favorite running season is finally upon us! FALL IS HERE! Not only is it gorgeous, especially here in New England, but the weather itself is ideal for runners. Not too hot. Not too cold. Good news, Goldilocks, it’s perfect. Even when the wind picks up, it’s usually just enough to cool me off. Can you tell, I LOVE running in the Fall?
So, getting back to it is pretty easy. I have been on the road for about 6 years- using running as my way of quitting smoking cold turkey- and have, over those years, figured out how to streamline what I run with. Initially I packed a ton of things into my running pack, like a first time parent packing the diaper bag. Remember those days? Everything but the crib made it in… running was similar for me. I had chews, tissues, warmers, coolers, a first aid kit and most of my wallet. As I move into my 6th year and am now a mom of 2, I’ve paired down everything I carry into a fine art. So… what works best for me in my pack? Check it out!
Make sure that you dress in layers- this is especially important in the Fall because weather can change so fast. Protecting your skin from the elements with good attire that wicks sweat away- including a supportive bra (hey ladies, good support is better for your back)- all the way down to your socks, is important for your core temp, to keep you at your best, and to minimize chafing and blistering. For me, blisters are the worst because they impact more than my running, but my life as a mom chasing two kiddos. Before I head out, I make sure to protect my heels and toes with COMPEED® Blister Medium Cushions– yes, they come in different sizes, and they stay on for… forever-ish.
Once I put one on, it stays in place until it starts to detach naturally, which can take a few days- allowing for full protection against water, dirt and bacteria and gives ideal healing conditions. Grab some for yourself, only available at Walgreens, and feel the heal!
Once I’m ready to head out, I load up my water bottles and pack and head out with:
- I.D. and Insurance Card This is so important. In case of an emergency, knowing who you are is key! And, if you ever have an emergency, your insurance card could be needed! This happened to me once when I fell. My ankle was badly injured and I opted for a walk-in… the only way to go is with proof of insurance- I am SO glad I had it on me!
- Money Having some cash is perfect if you stay out a bit longer than you imagined and you need something to eat, drink, or get tired and need a cab (if you’re cramping too badly to get back home, of course!). I keep a few singles on me for any emergency that pops up. Being prepared and not needing is better than not having in need.
- Key I keep a spare key in my bag or on my person so I can get back into the house… sounds like a no-brainer, but here are some things you may not have thought of: if someone is home when you leave, they must remain there until you return OR leave the house unlocked. Not ideal. If you have to carry ALL of your keys while running just to have your house key, you’re adding weight to your pack. Not ideal. Having to remove the ONE house key every single time you go out means you also have to remember to put it back. Not ideal. Carry a spare on you!
- COMPEED® Blister Medium Cushions These breathable cushions act as a second skin and are the perfect solution to those on the road blisters that nag us runners in training! They cover the entire wound, making sure the exposed nerve endings are gently but completely protected, relieving pain fast.
- Seasonal incidentals For me, this means extra boosters for my water and sunblock in the summer, lip coverage in the Fall and Winter- especially. Knowing the weather and predicting what little thing may make your run more comfortable, can make all the difference!
So you know what’s in my bag, share what necessities you run with! …and your best blister battling advice!