As I’ve done in years past, I have a list of resolutions! 2015 brought me much joy and love, loss and tears, and I expect the same for 2016. Sometimes I separate my goals, sometimes I list them… this year, I’ve chosen 12 goals, one to tackle each month. Kind of. Truly, I just want to grow myself, my business and keep my family healthy. It is no secret that Dave and I purchased a 4 bedroom home in the hopes of adding another Martinka to our crew… and while that’s not a 2016 goal, working towards strengthening our family unit is!
So… here are my resolutions, or goals. (Thanks to Mama is Only Human for this EPIC quote!!!)
- Count to ten. This is my first resolution because I started to hug it out in 2014, and this year I aim to keep hugging and NOT yelling. Counting to ten may just be how I do that.
- I want to build better relationships! …whether it’s Skyping with my sister and nephews (and brother-in-law) more, or being more active on clients and advertisers social media pages, I want to get out there. I am working on a schedule that allows me to take blocks of time to do specific things each day, but in doing so, have solidified still working 7 days a week. I am aiming to work it out throughout this year so that I can schedule time off.
- Go to bed. If you know me, you know that you can generally catch me awake at all hours of the day. From about 8am to 2am I am a functioning human. Or something like that. The 6 hours of time I give myself to close my eyes and sleep… it’s not enough. My body is telling me that. My mind is telling me that. This year, I need to listen.
- Get healthy WITH Dave! I am excited about this one, because we both need and want to get healthy, and we’re both strapped for time together. I think making goals (dare I say fitness dates?) seems like a good idea. We used to ride 30 miles, walk the dog, meander the city… but we’re kind of stagnant now. With the bike trainer set up in the basement and a big TV ready to blast some DVDs at us, I know we can get back on track!
- Respond to comments. I kind of got good at responding to all comments in 2015, but sometimes I am just repeating the same comment or really looking for something to say. I think my return comment ratio is about 80%… and I want to stay at that rate- here’s why: not all comments warrant a response. This year I’ve set a goal to give robust responses back to people who leave me something to say back! It really is that simple. I appreciate all comments, shares, clicks… and good conversation! So, if you give me something to talk to you about- especially on a specific post- look for me to respond back!
- Help with bedtime. When we moved to our new house, I envisioned early dinners and earlier bedtimes. This is not a real thing. Like my parents, Dave and I are nighttime people. That means our kids are little night owls, too. When trying to get a night owl to bed, it’s best to separate… divide and conquer, if you will. Dave takes the brunt of bedtime; bathing, brushing teeth and hair, reading books- all falls to him, so I want to get back into it. If we both are there, we’re both making those memories… and we get more time together when one person isn’t running back and forth between 2 kids!
- Drink more water. I feel like sometime in August I stopped drinking as much water. I feel OK, but I want to drink more. I figured if I added it to my list, I may just hold myself accountable for actually filling up my water bottle more!
- Workout 2-3 times a week. I used to go to the gym 5-7 days a week, sometimes more than once a day. A few times a week should not be stressful for me to move my ass. Enough said. Enough excuses. Do it.
- Cook more WITH Addie. We cook most of our meals at home and Addie LOVES to cook. It’s simple math to just add her into the mix more often. My counting to 10 will come in handy here as she is notorious for spilling things when we cook, but what better way is there to bond with my chef, teach her an art, a skill, and work on coordination than cooking? We’ve already started cooking with her new knives (yep, her knives) and cookbook! Look for our week of Disney recipes coming soon!
- Give back. Or forward. Whatever the buzzword is for this. I want to keep doing it. I finally have the means to pinch pennies for or buy someone an umbrella on a rainy day. You can’t take it with you, so I’ll be buying those umbrellas!
- Read. Somewhere in between pregnancy and birthing Addie, I stopped reading. This is not good. I was reminded what a good book can do when I read The Girl on the Train in 12 hours (including a 6 hour sleep) this Christmas– thanks for the book, Mom! I hope to get back to that… something I’ve already started! I’m currently finishing up Class Action: The Landmark Case that Changed Sexual Harassment Law.
- Shut electronics off. At dinner. When watching a movie with my family. When eating lunch with the kids. I live by the motto If I’m not available to a client at any given moment, they will find someone who is. While this is true, it’s not the end of the world. I’m not a high-power exec. If I miss an opportunity it’s not going to make or break my mortgage. I am blessed to work so that I can afford classes for the girls, special birthday celebrations for Dave and the kids, a bottle of wine. I make my own ends meet paying for Addie’s school, our life insurance, and gas for my car. It’s mundane expenditures that missing out on face time with my family will never be worth. So, if you can’t reach me right now, I assure you that when you can, I’ll be the most ambitious social media maven… until then, I’m probably wrapped up in a political debate with Dave, the loving arms of 2 wild sisters, or taking a moment to read the newest book!
And that’s that!