I love my tribe. When I hear Baby 2 (3, 4…) is on the way! I leap with excitement and prepare to field all important needs: food, drink, nipple cream, and an extra set of hands. The most helpful of these gifts is always: food. Sure, ordering delivery for the family is helpful (and always appreciated), but there is something about a homestyle meal- one that is filled with love, made with the intention of caring for the family.
At this stage in life when a friend has a baby, it’s almost insulting to bestow yet another thing upon them. Any toy, blanket or board book is sure to get lost in a maze of older sibling turmoil, and with mouths to feed and time going by at an alarming rate, I like to do what I do best: The best I can!
Stuffed Shells are the answer every single time. This meatless dish is a crowd pleaser, with the added benefit of breastmilk boosting garlic, and ideal for your busy weeknights, too (yep, you can make this very dish for you- even if you haven’t had a baby!). My secret to really giving my dish the full flavor is Ragú Homestyle Thick & Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce. It has just the right balance of flavors (think basil, fennel, oregano, black pepper- all hugging your dish and tantalizing your taste buds) and rivals even my Italian step-dad’s “gravy” (but don’t tell him, please!). With no artificial flavors, colors or high fructose corn syrup, yet bursting with flavor- it is literally a perfect sauce choice. Served with a side salad, these stuffed shells are the perfect meal, loved by kids and adults, and freezes well- so make a few to store for future meals!
To get started, gather up your ingredients:
Large pasta shells
Ragu Homestyle Thick & Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce
Salt and pepper
Once you have it all, follow my recipe below!
- 1 (12oz) jumbo pasta shells
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (32oz) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1# shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 8oz shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 jar Homestyle Ragu Thick & Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce
- 1T dried parsley
- 1T minced garlic
- 1t ground pepper
- 2t salt
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta shells and cook until al dente (8-10 minutes), then drain.
- Mix eggs, ricotta, 1/2 mozzarella, 1/2 Parmesan, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Spoon mixture into cooked shells and placed in a lightly greased 9 x 13 glass pan.
- Combine Homestyle Ragu Thick & Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce, sliced mushrooms, and the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in a medium bowl- stir and spoon over shells.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until cheese is lightly bubbling at the sides.
- (If saving: let cool completely and cover with clear wrap then foil and place in freezer.)
- Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350*F for 45-60 minutes.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350*F for 90 minutes, taking the foil off for the last 15 minutes.
- To ensure your dish is completely warmed, use an instant read thermometer until the center reaches 160*F.
This classic, homestyle recipe is simmering with tradition, ready to pass on to family, friends and neighbors. The best foods are the ones that bring us comfort. Warmth and love around the dinner table with each bite.
With 5 new Ragú Homestyle sauces to choose from, what will you be making? Which sauce will you choose?