This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I cannot believe that Camille, my sweet little Millie, is going to be one in 5 days! It feels like time has flown by and she was born just last month, but there are constant reminders that she is becoming less and less of a baby every day!
Just last week, as I was helping Addie wash her hands in our second floor bathroom, Millie appeared on the tiled floor, smiling up at me from the door. …I’d left her downstairs in the living room. Check stair climbing off the list of milestones! As well as climbing on the bed! Admittedly, we bed share with our youngest as she is still nursing during the night, and knowing that she can safely manage the bed makes me feel at ease. All these physical achievements coming all at once has been rather overwhelming… things are just so different from one child to another!
With all of her walking and climbing, Millie’s also gotten a few new pearly whites for 6 total teeth and 2 more on their way. “Ouch!” (Can I get an amen from my other nursing mamas?!) I’ve used a few tactics to help me ease the biting during nursing I wanted to share with you!
- As soon as baby bites, unlatch by placing your finger between your nipple and their mouth. Many times, this is baby’s way of telling us they’re done feeding. Taking them off the breast immediately will ensure they won’t bite again to signal you a second time. Take a break, recover your breast and decide if your baby is done nursing or if they were just a bit excited and still need to feed.
- Startle. When baby bites, a quick, sharp (not loud, just concise) “no” will help them open their jaw. Think about when you’re shocked and you gasp- this same reaction with help baby unlatch and let them know that you didn’t like what they did.
- Distract baby with by clucking your tongue, tickling their feet or gently blowing in their face. This gives your baby a second to reconnect with you, and the choice to remain off the breast or continue feeding.
- Keep your cool. It can be hard, but try to remember your baby is learning from you and trusts you implicitly. When they bite, they are just exploring a new aspect of themselves and need your guidance to teach them right from wrong.
- Don’t give up. A biting baby does not necessarily mean they are weaning. Baby may just be teething or biting for the feeling. You hear that grinding in general? Babies are just odd creatures and are exploring. For us, sometimes Millie will be a bit of an “aggressive nurser” as she unwinds for the night and tries to sleep. It’s just a natural progression as she moves more and works to learn new soothing techniques. Do what is best for you, and your relationship will stay strong!
I love our nursing relationship and am hoping we don’t wean for another year, so I decided to make her a fabulous birthday gift from just me, to care for those little shark teeth! As I browsed the aisle at Walmart while Addie was at school, I saw Tom’s of Maine® Silly Strawberry® Anticavity Toothpaste- the kind we have been using for Addie for years, and knew right there, this was the perfect start to a birthday gift!
Millie loves brushing her teeth, and I know she will be overjoyed at her promotion to big kid toothpaste with her sister- and her dad and myself! We love Tom’s of Maine® Simply White® Clean Mint Cavity Protection Toothpaste- perfect for whitening up our own coffee-loving smiles and protecting our aging teeth! (Check out their mouthwash and deodorant, too- perfect if you’re looking for something without aluminum.)
On Millie’s birthday, the 19th, there will be a roaming demo happening in select neighborhood Walmart locations. This demo will feature select Tom’s products and they will be handing out samples and coupons. What better way to celebrate her big day!
I love finding a local brand that offers complete care for our whole family, and a love for the community; Tom’s of Maine® is truly based in Maine, 5% of employee time is spent volunteering, and their products do not contain artificial colors, flavors, fragrances, preservatives, animal ingredients or animal testing. Such peace of mind giving my family the best! What Tom’s of Maine® product do you love most for your family?