Our Christmas Eve box is the first of the gifts I give to my family, but it’s more of a collaboration from everyone (orchestrated by the great lover of the season: me). Our box holds these items each year, and though I would love to add a little gift to it, its simplicity always wins out, and I have yet to want to change its innocence. (Roll over image for details!)
- Pajamas. Each family member gets a new pair of pajamas. This year, I got everyone’s from Old Navy, and I love that the girls’ are not traditional Christmas jammies, but understated. Millie’s are cream with gold writing: Love. Addie’s are red with white writing: Beauty. Addie chose the grey men’s pants with snowflakes, and I chose my pants and a coordinating waffle weave top for Dave. I wrapped up one of my ON thermal/weave tops from a previous year (they didn’t have my size in a new one!). I would love to do coordinating pjs one year… but for now, having unique jammies chosen just for us as individuals is pretty perfect.
- A new Christmas book. Our box always has one Christmas book we can enjoy as a family. This year I chose Peppa Pig’s Snowy Day. Although it’s looking like an extremely warm Christmas to come, Peppa Pig always makes us smile and I know that Addie and Millie will both enjoy the story (and making snorting noises). We have quite the collection of holiday books already, so this one will fit in quite nicely!
- A Christmas Eve movie. After church, we come home and open our Christmas Eve Box. Since everyone is usually pretty tired at that point, we slip into our jammies and turn on a movie to fall asleep to! This year we picked up A Muppet Christmas Carol. I know Addie will love it- she had a great time watching the Muppet Movie on our flight to Cali last summer- and it’s one of my favorites from childhood, too.
- A snack. No movie night is complete without a snack… especially movie night on Christmas Eve! This year, Dave picked out Annie’s Chedder Bunnies… a family favorite! Addie and Millie both really enjoy this snack, and I’ve been known to sneak a handful, too!
- Hot chocolate. Also Dave’s handy-work, Dave picked out quite a few Swiss Miss varieties from milk chocolate to dark and all the marshmallows in between! I packed traditional milk chocolate in our Christmas Eve box, and may add a drop of vanilla and whipped cream to Addie’s, and some Bailey’s in mine and Dave’s! Millie will enjoy just a slash of hot cocoa in a nice cup of mama’s milk. Something for everyone in just one drink!
What is your favorite holiday tradition? Do you have a Christmas Eve Box? Tell me what you put in every year!